Aging Gracefully in A Young World

NanoPoblano

I named my blog Silver Threading for a couple of reasons, the first being that I have silver hair, which  I like to think represents my wisdom.  In fact, I love my hair because it is a liberation of sorts for me to not have to prove myself anymore.  I am at the point in my life that I am finally comfortable with who I have become. I refuse to color my hair because I want the world to see the real me.  No pretense, and no bull!

Apparently, my liberation has spread through my neighborhood.  Two of my neighbors, who are older than me, have recently decided to join the “silver threading” club.  Both of these ladies have decided to quit using hair color and let their silver and greys all hang out!  How liberating is that?

2014-11-04 14.33.27

(Image Credit: Facebook)

The usual perception of age is that if you are young, you want to be older.  If you are older, you long for your youth.  Frankly, I am happy with my age right now.  I have enough wisdom to keep myself out of trouble yet, I still yearn to try new things.  I take care of my body, watch the foods I eat, exercise, and try to do all the things that you should for my age.  I like to think that I am aging gracefully.

I think I was blessed with the right amount of “age genes” so that I am able to not look my age.  My daughters have inherited this favored gene also.  All three of us are mistaken for our ages quite frequently.  My Prussian genes actually gave me something other than big hips!

However, that is the problem with age today.  How you look influences everyone else’s perception of age.  If you look older, many times you are lumped into a category where people believe you will behave in a certain way.  For example, if you have grey hair it is believed that you belong to the Baby Boomer generation and are technology-challenged.  That is a total misconception on the part of younger people today.  Not all Baby Boomers are challenged when it comes to technology.  I’m not and I know there are many of us out there who embrace technology and all that goes along with it.

2014-08-14 21.03.04

(Image Credit: Facebook)

I have never understood why age is such a big deal.  It is not something that you can change.  You can change your looks so that you do not look to be a certain age, but in the end, you are most certainly still that age.  I feel like it is just a bunch of smoke and mirrors and in the end it does not really matter.

I never wanted to look like that woman who is trying to look young so she wears clothes that are inappropriate for her age.  You know the kind I mean…

coolwomen2

So, I have decided that I am happy with the age I am today.  I worked hard to gain all of this wisdom.  I was not taken seriously in the working world until I was at least 40 years old!  Only then, was I comfortable to say what I thought.  I also found that I was comfortable with my knowledge and skill set within my field.  It took a long time to get there though.

I believe women improve with age.  We are truly like a fine wine, not ripe until our time.  Embrace whatever age you are right now.  Be happy in your skin!

Leave it to me to bring the subject back to wine!  Cheers!

women

(Image Credit: Fine Wine.com)

Thanks for the great visit.  I sure enjoy seeing all of you!

Silver Threading

48 thoughts on “Aging Gracefully in A Young World”

1. My gray hair has been with me for more than six years. When I went bald following chemotherapy treatment in 2008, I made the decision to never color my hair again. I am gray and proud. Thank you for sharing.

2. Well done to you for being brave enough to do this. I’m turning 42 tomorrow and, although I am not one of ‘those’ women you are referring to, I do try to look good for my age. I do dress appropriately I think, but have been dying my hair religiously since I was 24… I tend to pass for 30-33, but I swear, I am not making too much of an effort. When I get a bit older, I wonder if I will manage to embrace your attitude…

Anyway, great post, well done.

3. Reblogged this on imanikingblog and commented:
    I read through my blog friend’s (Colleen) article and I love it. Besides, she’s got grey hair, loving it, living it and living life. I love grey! In between, I’m jealously guarding the few strands I have on my head. LOL.

4. You are way more tech savvy than my 34 year old self. I actually thought of you while I was at work the other day. I had just gone in to the restroom to fidget with my unruly hair and, noticed my two silver strands glistening. I rather like them, so didn’t bother with concealing them. I noticed as my co-worker/girlfriend’s eyes landed on the crown of my head. Her hand dramatically covered her face as if she’d spied a bee on my head. I instantly cut to the chase, and asserted that I like my grays. She was dumbfounded by my acceptance of them and admitted that she plucks hers. I yam who I yam, sweet potato!

5. Another great post Colleen and inspiration for us all. You’re going from strength to strength with your blog and it looks and reads great. I love the diversity of your posts and your ideas.
    I too may reblog this, if you’re okay with that? I think it should be shared as much as possible. Keep it going girl! x

• Thank you Dorne. I am enjoying my blog and the writing! It has been fun seeing how I can grow my blog. I am still amazed that anyone reads what I have to say! Thank you for always being there for me <3

6. Truly inspiring! believe me your “silver hair” depicts the glittering shine of wisdom and the precious pearl of ” life long experience”!

I would love to share this
    “You’re getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster”

7. Totally love this article and it’s very liberating …I’ll love to reblog it! Thanks in advance Colleen. By the way, I love grey hair and my dad’s head is all grey and with his greenish brown eye, it’s to die for.

8. Here, here, bring it on, Colleen. Oh how I wish some of the younger people I know read this post. They would know then that I don’t have to be in bed by 8pm, that I do like a good glass of wine with my meal and not horlicks!, and that when it comes to solving a problem with technology, I know where to find the on\off button on my iPad 🙂

9. Yeah!! In many ways these are the best years of my life! I have to admit I am just not ready to reveal how much grey is actually under these chemicals and that is ok too. I feel the freedom to decide for myself and not let “them” (whoever “they” are) dictate how I live or what I do and that is one of the perks of age – what others think matters less and less.
    Good post, thanks for writing!!

10. Aging gracefully is something I wish to do as well. Like you, I do not colour my hair and do not mind he silver threads that have begun to run through my hair. I look to people like you who give an example to young ones and show that age is not something to be feared.

11. Great post Colleen and I totally agree with you. I can only hope that men too are like red wine. It would be terrible, at least for me, if they tended more toward the white variety 😉

12. Great post! I convinced one of my uncles to go grey a few years back and then he discovered that everybody thought he looked better. It’s good to be happy in one’s own skin. Some people never manage. You’re a great example!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

%d bloggers like this: