Expressing Ourselves With Gardening

Gardening Grandbabies

This is one of my favorite photos of three of our Grandchildren.  Last spring, when they lived in Pensacola, Florida, we planted seeds together and grew our own vegetables at Nana’s house.  We started with tomatoes, cucumbers, spaghetti squash, kale, and even zucchini!  The kids and I kept a notebook listing all the seeds we planted.  We drew pictures of the different planting beds and wrote in the names of the plants planted in each area.

Each child picked a bush.  Alexandria picked the delicate pink Azalea.  Steven picked the orange-blossomed Parlor Maple, while Savanna chose the peach-colored hibiscus.  They dug the holes and planted their own bushes. I assisted, but tried to let them do most of the work themselves.  My thought process was that if they tried gardening now, they might try it again when they are older.

4.1.14 azalea blooming   Alex’s Azalea

2014-08-21 09.50.37Steven’s Parlor Maple

2014-06-08 10.04.37

Savanna’s Hibiscus

We found out that Savanna and Steven like to garden.  Alexandria did not, instead she enjoyed taking pictures of all of us doing the work.  The idea was to get them interested in something other than video games.  It seemed to work.  Every other weekend the kids visited and tended to the weeds and the watering for that weekend.  Today, their bushes are still growing, awaiting the return of spring.

This photo is part of the The Daily Post’s weekly photo challenge.  This week, we were to “express ourselves,” in any way we wished.  I can truly say that I love digging, and playing in the dirt, and growing things, almost as much as I love writing.  Since the Grandchildren have moved away from Pensacola, I wonder if the Swamp Fairy (follow the stories at the link) will help me tend my garden this year?

Thanks for popping in to see what I am up too.  I look forward to seeing you all again!

Silver Threading signature

41 thoughts on “Expressing Ourselves With Gardening”

1. This is really nice! I like the photos and I really love the idea of grandparent time. As I’m learning the ropes, I find myself looking for different activities that don’t include a screen of any kind. 🙂

2. What a lovely positive post to come back to, Colleen. I must admit that I don’t like gardening at all, but my partner John loves it. I prefer instead to sit in the garden with a glass of wine and watch the world go by while he does all the work.

It’s so wonderful that you have plants in your garden that have been planted by your Grandchildren, so that every time you pass or see them, it will remind you of them. You never know, maybe Savanna and Steven will go on to having careers in gardening, now that you have given them ‘green fingers’.

• I am so glad that you are back Hugh! I missed you greatly! Thank you for the wonderful comments. I am so glad that my Grandmother and even my step mother were gardeners. There is a different aspect to gardening that I do not find from other hobbies. I love the chance to raise something from a seed. It is a wonderful feeling of accomplishment. Yea to John for loving it too. Alexandria did not like getting her hands dirty. 😀

• John told me that even as a child he would rather spend all his pocket money on seeds and plants rather than candy, fizzy drinks and comics. Your words are so similar to what he has said to me about why he loves gardening so much. He has tried his best to get me interested, but I’m afraid it just is not for me. I’m so lucky to have him as a keen gardener.

It’s great to be back, Colleen, and I’ve so much catching up to do with everyone.

• My Ron is not a gardener either, although he has helped me turn over the garden and dug quite a few holes. He enjoys just watching me. I think we are both lucky to have such wonderful mates! 🙂 Have fun catching up. Glad you are back in the neighborhood! <3

3. As usual – a very beautiful post from you Colleen 😀
    Garden work were something I did enjoy years ago. Today I’m not able to do this, but I love to stay out in the garden, take photos of all the growing.

4. Great idea. You’ve made me think of Alice Walker’s ‘In Search of Our Mother’s Garden’ about creativity and self-expression. Beautiful flowers and I hope your grandchildren carry on enjoying nature and self-expression

5. Your Grandchildren are adorable. What a good Grandma you are to expose them to to the wonderful joys of gardening. I think taking photos is an important part of gardening. With two planting and growing the garden and one logging each step in photos, it will make for a fun and treasured file of memories for your grandbabes and you.
    You get an extra big applause from me for getting them interested in something other than video games. Well done. 🙂

• One more quick question: are hibiscus perennial in your region? I love them but they’re pricey and summer only in my neck of the woods. All of your photos are fabulous! 🙂

• This will be the first year growing a hibiscus. It should come back, but I am not sure. I know if you pot them and cover them in the cold they do come back. I will check on them in more detail. 🌸🌸🌸

• No, I do not have lotus. You need more of a pond to grow them in. It would be a green slim mess with all the heat and humidity. We are in northwestern Florida, so not as tropical, as most think. We have woodland swamps though, and I photograph them often. My Swamp Fairy stories are prompted by the swamp near our home. I look forward to seeing some photos from Ireland, Swav. 🙂

6. What a lovely post. I myself grow veggies out in the sonora desert in Arizona, and I love picking my (organic) produce for dinner. More, I love planting, and nurturing and feasting my eyes on the beauty that is nature…

• Thank you so much. We lived in Prescott, Arizona for a couple of years until the cold and snow got to us and sent us back to Florida. I had a garden there also, and in Montana. It was fun to battle the elements and grow vegetables and plants. I am like you, I like to commune with nature. <3

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

%d bloggers like this: