Thank you, Ali Taylor, from The Chronicles of an Orange-Haired Woman! For choosing me to participate in the Freestyle Writing Challenge, where I am to:
“Choose FIVE of my favourite types of food/drink (can be meals, snacks, whatever grabs you!) – And bring them to succulent life for your readers. Can be serious, funny, sensual, extended metaphor…”
Thick red Angus steaks marbled with just the right amount of pale white streaks of fat sit on a plate, ready to be added to the grill. They sizzle as the charcoal flames lick the underside of the beef. The heady aroma of beef cooking on a charcoal grill fills the neighborhood.
Freshly scrubbed Idaho baking potatoes are pricked to release the steam. The oven toasts their skins to a crispy brown while inside the white potato is tender and flakey. Fat yellow slabs of butter are slipped inside the hot potato skins. Steam rises from the slash in the potato. Green chives are cut and added to the top of the vegetable. Butter oozes from the sides of the potatoes.
I fill a salad bowl with dark emerald green spinach leaves. Green kale is added for texture. Red onion, hot and sweet, is chopped and added to the top of the salad. Pumpkin colored carrot sticks are added to the mixture. Ruby red tomatoes are sliced. The juice and seeds drip from my hands, as I add them to the bowl. A rich green cucumber is sliced and de-seeded. This I place on the top of the salad. Fragrant vinegar is added along with a few tablespoons of pale amber olive oil. I stir the salad to mix the vegetables, so that the flavors have time to mingle.
I retrieve a bottle of pale white Moscato wine from my refrigerator. I uncork the wine and smell the fruity aroma of this particular vintage. I let the wine sit and breathe for a bit. Then I slowly pour the wine into my glass and sip the crisp sweetness which is tart on my tongue. I inhale the fragrance and close my eyes, savoring the wine on my tongue.
The Dessert of the Gods are exquisite delicacies filled with the sweetness of sugar, honey, and just a touch of cinnamon. These succulent jewels drip with deep rich chocolate and caramel drizzle. Coconut shreds are sprinkled throughout the opulent dough creating a luscious gooey brownie.
15 minutes: 343 words (I am a slow writer… what do you do?)J
These are the rules:
1. Open an MS Word Document
2. Set a stopwatch or your mobile phone timer to 5, 10, or 15 minutes, whichever challenge you think you can beat.
3. Your topic is at the foot of this post BUT DO NOT SCROLL DOWN TO SEE IT UNTIL YOU ARE READY WITH YOUR TIMER!!!
4. Fill the word doc with as many words as you want. Once you start writing do not stop.
5. Do not cheat by going back and correcting spelling and grammar using spell check (it’s only meant for you to reflect on your own control of sensible thought flow and for you to reflect on your ability to write the right spelling and stick to grammar rules).
6. You may or may not pay attention to punctuation or capitals. However, if you do, it would be best.
7. At the end of your post write down ‘No. of words = ____” so that we would have an idea of how much you can write within the time frame.
8. Do not forget to copy paste the entire passage on your blog post with a new topic for your nominees and copy paste these rules with your nomination (at least five (5) bloggers).
My new topic for you to write about is to:
“Describe your perfect fantasy world so that we all want to live there.”
Thanks for stopping by. I will see you again!