Cooking with Silver – Gluten-Free/Dairy-Free Strawberry Cake
Berry Nice Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Strawberry Cake from Gluten-Free & More. This website is amazing! Check it out!
By Beth Hillson
Photography by Oksana Charla
We’re suckers for strawberries and this tasty dessert takes them to new flavor heights. Use frozen, unsweetened whole strawberries for the puree, as they’re softer and easier to work. Use summer’s best fresh strawberries to garnish the frosted gluten-free cake. You can add a touch of red food coloring to the batter to create a deeper rosy color. For best results, do not replace the eggs in this recipe.
-White rice flour, to dust pans
1 (16-ounce) bag frozen unsweetened whole strawberries
2½ cups Beth’s Cake & Pastry Flour Blend
4 teaspoons baking powder
1¼ teaspoons xanthan gum
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter or dairy-free alternative, room temperature
1½ cups sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk of choice, room temperature
1-2 drops pink or red food coloring, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two 9-inch round pans. Dust with rice flour. Set aside.
2. Slightly thaw strawberries. Puree in a food processor. Transfer to a mesh strainer and set over a bowl. Using a rubber spatula, push the puree through the strainer. Then scrape the underside of the strainer, catching puree in the bowl. Repeat until just seeds and pulp remain in the strainer. You should have about 1¼ to 1½ cups puree. Set aside and discard seeds and pulp.
3. Combine flour blend, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Mix well.
4. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Add dry ingredients and beat to combine. Fold in ¾ cup strawberry puree. (Reserve remainder of puree for Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting.)
5. Add milk and beat until smooth. Add a drop or two of pink or red food coloring if you’d like the batter to be a deeper pink color.
6. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans and smooth tops.
7. Place in preheated oven and bake 23 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cakes cool in the pans before removing to frost with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting.
Photography by Oksana Charla
Dairy-Free Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
MAKES 3½ CUPS
1 (8-ounce) package low-fat cream cheese or dairy- free cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter or dairy- free alternative, softened
½ cup pureed strawberries
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3-5 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon milk of choice, if needed
-Fresh strawberries, sliced or halved, for garnish
1. Beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Add strawberry puree and vanilla extract and beat.
2. Slowly add sugar in 1-cup batches until desired sweetness and consistency is achieved. Slowly add a tiny bit of milk if a thinner consistency is desired.
3. Frost cooled cake and garnish with fresh strawberries. Refrigerate cake until ready to serve.
Each serving with frosting contains 415 calories, 15g total fat, 9g saturated fat, 0g trans-fat, 77mg cholesterol, 264mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 49g sugars, 4g protein, 43 Est GL.
Recipe by food editor Beth Hillson
MAKES 2½ CUPS
This gluten-free flour blend includes sorghum and cornstarch. Sorghum is light and less grainy than rice flour. It absorbs moisture more evenly, thanks to its finer grind, and it contains valuable nutrients and fiber. Cornstarch lightens the texture and adds structure to the cake. If you’re avoiding corn, use tapioca or potato starch instead.
1 cup white rice flour
¾ cup sorghum flour
¾ cup cornstarch, tapioca starch/flour or potato starch (not potato flour)
1. Whisk ingredients together. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before using.
Each cup contains 520 calories, 4g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans-fat, 0mg cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 116g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 0g sugars, 80g protein.
Thanks for popping in today! I can feel the magic in the air today! Happy Thursday!