Hi, everybody! I have had a highly successful week of writing in between the Christmas holiday and New Year’s Eve. I have hit the half way mark in my novel, The Swamp Fairy, and am excited about how it is all coming together. I actually started from the first transcript I wrote and reworked the entire story. It is going to be an amazing adventure! I am just at the 20,000+ word mark and well on my way!
By the way, if anyone ever told you that writing a book is easy, make sure to tell them they do not have a clue about writing a novel! I am loving this journey and learning a ton in the process. I find myself dreaming of what I am going to write next! I have had to work hard at shutting my mind down so that I can get some much-needed sleep.
That brings me to defining my goals for 2016 as it pertains to my writing and my blog. I had to think hard and long about what I could realistically accomplish. I made a list that seemed to go on forever and ever! I knew that would not work so I started really looking at what I knew in my heart I could accomplish.
Here are the top 5 items I came up with that I think are doable in real life for me to advance my writing career:
- Publish my book by my birthday, April 18th. This is my protagonist’s birthday in the novel also, so I believe that will be a way for my readers to associate with my character and her story. Stay tuned because I have other exciting things to share about my character and the book coming up in the near future!
- Continue my journey with Mindful Monday – Healthy Living. This gives me a way to explore more about myself and actually helps me with my writing and daily life. I hope my readers will continue to be as inspired as I am from all the great comments and the journey’s that we all share together.
- Write MORE poetry! I want to explore other forms of poetry. The Poetry Foundation has an excellent list of all the poetic forms with definitions. Click here to take a look!
- Participate in more creative writing challenges and explore different genres.
- Continue hosting Writer’s Quote Wednesday. Who else has a WordPress event where the participants post quotes whether I do or not? How cool is that? I have the best bunch of quote finders in the world! ❤ Inspiration is at an all time high! However, I would like to ask for someone to take over the Quote Wrap-Up for me on a regular basis. It is time-consuming, however, it does bring some great traffic to your blog. Please let me know if you would be interested in the comments of this post. After a year and a half, I would love to see a fresh take on sharing the quotes!
I want to spend more time perfecting my workflow this year too. I need to spend less time on social media and more time concentrating on my writing. I have worked so hard to build a readership for my blog that I find my time for writing has suffered. That means that I will be doing more re-blogging of excellent blog articles that I find in the blogosphere instead of playing on Facebook. 😉 That will give me the extra time to write book reviews!
That’s it! A simple straight forward list of goals that I WILL accomplish this year. How about you? Do you have a list of goals that you hope to attain this year? I would love to hear how you are planning to meet your goals!
I want to take this time to wish everyone a Happy New Year! I feel like 2016 is going to be the best year yet! Thank you for following Silver Threading. I wish you all great happiness and success in the upcoming year! GO FOR IT!
Colleen M. Chesebro is a writer of cross-genre fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction. Her debut novel, a YA fantasy series called, “The Heart Stone Chronicles - The Swamp Fairy,” was published January 2017.
The book reveals the story of Abby Forrester, a 14-year-old orphaned girl who is entrusted with saving a community of fairy nymphs from certain ecological destruction. Along the way, Abby learns about friendship, love, and what it means to actually belong to a family.
Colleen’s writing explores ecological situations in the multicultural world of today. She combines real-life historical events into her writing to create experiences that will continue in the hearts and heads of her readers.
A veteran of the United States Air Force, Colleen is also a retired bookkeeper. She has an Associates Degree in Business Administration, and another Associates Degree in the Arts, which she uses to combine her love of writing with her passion for all things creative.
When she is not writing, Colleen enjoys spending time with her husband, dogs, children, and grandchildren. When time permits, she also loves gardening, cooking, and crocheting old fashioned doilies into works of artistry.
She lives in the United States with her husband and her two Pomeranians, Sugar, and Spice. You can learn more about Colleen and her writing on her website colleenchesebro.com.