IN THE AUTHOR’S WORDS
Title: Living in a Shadow
Amazon Author Page: Deborah A. Bowman
Genres: Contemporary Women’s Fiction
In the Author’s Words
LIVING IN A SHADOW is a must-read fictional drama with a powerful message for women of all ages, any man who has ever loved a woman, and any partner, regardless of gender, who has ever loved a victim, especially the unheard, unknown, uncomforted victims.
Sometimes the dreams we want most out of life are mere illusions, shadows in the mist. Fantasy and Desire: Is it Love or Lust? Truth, Reality, and Perception: Is it Fact or Fiction? Not that it matters. But, of course, you must have the ability to make these choices.
It’s not the book, any book, but what you personally take away from the book, embracing the experiences as if they were your own to enable you to select the best choices for your life course.
But what do you do, how do you cope, when choices are taken away from you? These are the shadows in all of our lives.Author, Deborah Bowman
Living in a Shadow is the story of Marcy and Rich, told from the perspectives of the two characters as they chronicle the collapse of their marriage. The writing is riveting. It draws the reader into their personal world by sharing their thoughts and feelings.
The author chose to switch between Marcy and Rich’s mindset, which gave a certain intimacy to the novel, which kept me keyed into the story. At times, I felt as if I was eavesdropping, the dialogue was so realistic.
Love, relationships, trust, and misunderstandings are many of the themes. I especially enjoyed the aspects of the illusionary shadow mentioned in the title and how that theme flowed through the novel.
Everyone has a dark side. I believe Bowman successfully tapped into the shadow archetype revealing the part of the personality called the “Self,” showing all, and more in her characters. You know what I mean… that part that we don’t like about ourselves and the things we subconsciously deny as we project those things on to others? Bowman bares it all! These characters are so real; I felt like I knew them.
This was a hard book to put down, and I found myself propelled through a whirlwind of emotions.
Be prepared because the ending was unexpected. I never saw it coming!
Character Believability: 5
Flow and Pace: 5
Reader Engagement: 5
Reader Enrichment: 5
Reader Enjoyment: 5
Overall Rate: 5 out of 5 Faeries
*I follow the Amazon Rating System*
About the Author
My first poem was published when I was 12 years old in a 4-H Magazine, and I was hooked!
I read everything I could get my hands on and wrote continuously … everything for everyone.
My career allowed me to write in different voices, media, and genre. It was gratifying to create the right product for the right audience; hopefully, on-time and in-budget:
- Educated at the U.S. Department of Army Graduate School, I became the youngest and first female Authorization Publications Officer for DOD. I take great pride in supporting our Armed Forces with clear, accurate instructional manuals and reports, many of which are still in use today, and creating full-color newspaper/public affairs media.
- I wrote a monthly column for the “Medical News” as an Advanced Certified Psychological Hypnotherapist (A.C.P.H.) and was featured in the “Washington Post Newspaper Parenting Magazine” for my work with ADHD teens. Hypnotherapy certification started out as a hobby for me to cope with pain and to learn relaxation, but my desire to help others has always pushed me in new, exciting directions.
- At an early age (late-30s) I spent two years in a wheelchair, working as a Fiction Reader for Erie Literary Agency. I learned invaluable tools to assist other authors produce their best works. I embraced the challenge!
- I have had numerous poems and lyrics/songs published as a musician (reeds, guitar, piano, Celtic harp, singer). Runner-up songwriter award for the Mid-Atlantic Songwriting Contest, 2nd year after inception. Winner of The Editor’s Choice Award in poetry, 1998. Poem dedicated and copyrighted to www. lupus.org for their use, gratis, in 2014. An article and photo written, gratis, and used by The Buttery mansion/restaurant on the history of the location in Lewes, Delaware, 2015. Other awards with DOD, award-winning authors, which I have represented or ghostwritten for, are too numerous to mention.
- As an editor/formatter for eBookstand.com (rated no. 3 on Oprah Winfrey’s print-on-demand list), I e-published two of my own books: A novel and a short-story Anthology. I had finally returned to my roots. I currently have 8 books of my own published.
Now, I’m very happy and pleased to wear two hats:
- The Writer/Editor/Ghostwriter who polishes all genre/all media of written and designed products to the highest quality at affordable prices by “continuously reading everything for everyone”. I read for myself with my clients in mind to offer cutting-edge trends in editing and proofreading. One should never proofread their own work.
- The fiction writer/reader (aren’t all writers, readers?) writing, doing book reviews, editorial reviews, encouraging, mentoring, coaching, and public speaking on tricks-of-the-trade in publishing; book readings and signings; launching books for other authors whom I have ghostwritten for; and a strong advocate for SLE Lupus, speaking and writing on remaining active, accepted, and recognized for yourself, not defined by a disability or handicap.
How to Connect with the Author
LinkedIn: Deborah Bowman Stevens
Tumblr: Really Very Miracle
Amazon Author’s Page: Deborah A. Bowman
Amazon Reviewer’s Page: Deborah Bowman, author
If you have your book listed on BookBub, I will add my review there also! ❤ Click HERE to follow me! (Colleen M. Chesebro) Let me know in the comments if you follow me so that I can follow you!
Are you looking for more great reads? Join author, D.G. Kaye, Sally Cronin, and Colleen Chesebro in our writers group on MeWe.com, The Literary Diva’s Hangout to find book reviews, book promotions, & special deals on books from authors you love. This is a safe site for authors, bloggers, poets, and writers to share their work.